Updated: Jan 1, 2020
Yoni* Steaming is a relaxing and effective way to promote reproductive well-being. The warm steam and natural essential oils from the plants nourish and tonify the vulva and vaginal. This lovely treatment improves circulation, assisting with de-congestion and cleansing. It’s important to note here that Yoni Steaming is not for cleaning the vulva/vagina – which is naturally self-cleaning. When Yoni Steaming is described as cleansing, this refers to the way herbal heat and steam can support a natural release and help restore a sense of vitality and balance.
Heat is medicine for the female body. Where cold causes contraction, heat supports opening and release. The moist heat created with Yoni Steaming softens tissues, increases vital blood flow and supports the womb in releasing any stagnant blood and tension that may have built up over the cycles. This self-care ritual, when done mindfully and safety, is a wonderful tool to weave into your month.
*Yoni = Sacred place. Vulva, vagina & womb. Yoni represents Shakti:
The Divine Feminine Creative Power.
Directions for Yoni Steaming at home:
1) In a saucepan pour 8 cups of water (ideally purified). Add one handful of fresh herbs and/or half a cup of dried Yoni steaming herbs. Fresh rosemary and lavender are nice additions. And it can also be really honouring to make a prayer or blessing as you put the herbs into the water. Thanking them for there gifts, and charging the water with your healing intent.
3) Bring this herb-water mix to a soft boil for 5 minutes then turn of the heat. Leave the lid on, and steep for another 5 minutes.
3) Next, pour 4 cups of this water into the vessel you wish to use for your steam. Avoid plastic! Some people buy specially made Yoni steaming boxes. My friend has just started making them so message me if you want me to link you to her!
Some people use bowels that sit neatly in the top of a toilet, and perform this treatment on the toilet. You can also use a large, deep, ceramic vase or pot and position it on the floor, in any room, with towels around the edge to create a soft padding. Whatever you choose, ensure you can sit comfortably for around 20-30 minutes. Have blankets and cushions to lean on (if you're not doing the toilet method). I often have a large pot on the floor and lean against a chair or sofa covered in soft things! Get creative.
4) Wave your hand a few inches over the herbal water to make sure it is not too hot. Remove underwear and sit above the steaming water. Drape a large blanket or sheet around your waist, down to the floor, making sure no steam escapes. This way you create a mini steamer for the lower half of your body! Make sure you keep yourself warm, covering any parts of your body that need/want it. You do not want any cold to get into your body while you have this treatment. You should feel a lovely warm, rolling heat for about 10-12 minutes.
5) When the steam starts to fade you can discard the water (herbs can be scooped out and used as compost). Then start with the remaining half of the steaming mix- heating it up if needed. And again, make sure it's not too hot before you sit above it!
6) Make the most of this treatment by putting on your favourite music. Light some candles, or have the lighting in a way that pleases you. Make a mug of you favourite herbal tea or cacao. You get the idea. Make it a really love "date with yourself". Time to unwind, ground and nourish yourself. Some people like to do meditations and visualisations at the same time. Turn it into your own bespoke Yoni care ritual.
A compliment to this treatment is to follow it with Yoni Love CBD Oil (see my products). and give yourself massage. You may also like to use the Yoni wand for this, adding an extra layer of loving attention and time.
Benefits of a Yoni Steaming
Yoni steaming can clear dark menstrual blood from the beginning or ending of the cycle. It can also help with dysmenorrhea (painful periods/cramping) and irregular periods, as well as for women during any stage of there life! Many people have reported that it also helps ease conditions such as endometriosis, yeast infections, vaginal dryness, PMS, stress and painful intercourse. It is a relaxing, warming treatment good for the mind as well as body.
Yoni steaming can increase cervical fluids, nourish and tone the uterine lining and vulva tissues. It can relax the vaginal canal and cervix, increase blood supply and energy to the reproductive area. Which can have all manner of positive effects. Yoni steaming has many more benefits. It is an embodiment tool that gives some TLC to a very important part of our bodies. Try it for yourself!
Equally good for the menopause, and beyond. It helps with vaginal dryness, tone, balance and circulation no matter where you are in your life cycle. It offers time and space for you to be with yourself. It is a meditate practise that draws your attention to your feminine centre. This is great for the menopause, when your creative and fertile energies are sealing within you and you are harvesting the insights of your life so far.
This treatment encourages you to drop deeper into your body and breathe. To root. To notice the sensations in your lower body. This is very useful at a time when may of us are often "in our heads/thinking minds" and our nervous systems are often under a lot of strain. This treatment is a tonic for this- helping your awareness come back into your body.
It is very important to test the temperature of the steam before using. If too hot, wait and test again until it feels comfortably warm to steam with. Do not add essential oils as they can be too strong and may burn sensitive genital tissue.
This treatment can temporary increase menstrual flow, with more dark fluids or debris, due to enhanced circulation. Menses may also start earlier than usual due to the cleansing effect.
Only use organic herbs and plants for the steaming. I sell Yoni Steaming herbs (see my products section). Or you can grow/wild harvest your own. Fresh rosemary and lavender are often easy to get hold of and excellent for yoni steaming!
Avoid Yoni Steaming if:
You are pregnant or think you may be pregnant!
After ovulation (if attempts have been made to conceive).
You are currently bleeding.
Have an active vaginal infection or open wounds.
Use Caution if:
You have an IUD or another contraceptive device in place.
You experience very heavy periods.
You are trying to support infertility or a specific condition where there may be particular contraindications.
Listen to you body, always. She knows.
Changes to Expect
Various changes may follow after Yoni Steaming. This can include physical and emotional releases, blissful relaxation, a deeper sense of connection with yourself, a calmer nervous system and increased sensitivity/pleasure. Things you might notice include changes in your menstrual cycle, release of dark blood and clots, a lighter cycle and increased body awareness. If you have been suffering from menstrual imbalances, pain and stagnancy, you may notice significant changes or dark syrupy blood releasing with your next moon-time. The changes might come more slowly and be more subtle. This can include shifts in your emotional awareness/sensing.
During and after your steam you might feel tired or emotional, and it’s important you take the time to rest and stay warm after your Yoni Steam.
I hope you have found this useful and wish you a wonderful experience,
Cassandra Rosa x